First Baptist Church of Gaston
Saturday, February 27, 2021

Our History



First Baptist Church of Gaston was constituted in 1824 as Sandy Run Baptist Church, with 21 charter members. The first pastor was the Rev. George Scott. Though records do not exist to document the church's entire history, traditions, memories of older church members, and existing records serve to provide a sketch of our rich history. On September 14, 1955 the Church's name was changed to First Baptist Church of Gaston.

The church has had five houses of worship, the first two were destroyed by fire. The third building was constructed on the space of land on which the rear of the newer educational wing now stands. When the church constructed its fourth house of worship in 1939, the third building was kept intact except for the columns inside and the built-out room for the pulpit. The exterior was simply brick-veneered and covered.

At 8:00 AM on October 18, 1938, some 100 men, women, and children  met for prayer and the groundbreaking for the church's fourth house of worship. These 100 people joined hands in a large circle. After several prayers, they sang together "Blest Be the Tie that Binds" then, with the pastor throwing the first shovel of dirt, the deacons following in point of age, the president of the WMU, and on and on until each one, young and old, had thrown a shovel of dirt, ground was broken. Construction was completed in 1939. In 1972, a fellowship hall was constructed across the street. 

Ground was broken in 1981 for the church's current worship center. The church moved into this building in February 1985 and dedicated it to the glory of God in October 1985.   When space was needed for an educational wing, the church began the new building process in 1997. Upon completion, it was dedicated August 30, 1998.
The membership of First Baptist Gaston is looking to the future to see what “Amazing Things” God will do through this body of believers...come be a part of this “Great Movement.” 
Afresh and new we sing “Bless Be the Tie That Binds.”